How-To Real Virtual Racing™ & FAQ
Start Here: Basics & Essentials
We’ve partnered with PWR Lab, a Silicon Valley digital platform that helps runners of any level to perform optimally, to create a Real Virtual Racing experience unlike any other. In addition to a flat & fast 5K & 10K paved course, we are also providing 5K & 10K trail courses exploring the Tilden Nature Area as well as Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park so you can explore the East Bay in new ways with Run Local®. Run your best while also comparing yourself directly to others on your own time from Friday, October 23 – Sunday, November 1.
If you are not in the area or prefer to run your own course, you’ll be able to upload those times and still see how you match up.
Nope! You will be able to get a "verified" result from anywhere you run your 5K & 10K and synced up with PWR Lab via GPS device.
We've established three courses per distance for those who wish to compare themselves directly to others on the same exact course.
No! We have partnered with PWR Lab to provide offer automated tracking through compatible devices OR the ability to manually enter your results and track your progress.
PWR Lab is currently compatible with Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and COROS. Apple Watch is not yet compatible (more info below). We recommend that Suunto users sync to Suunto App rather than Movescount.
Uploading FIT files, GPX files, screenshots, etc. is not supported in order to get Verified results. Strava is not compatible.
NO GPS DEVICE PRO TIP: If you do not have a supported GPS device, but carry a phone while you run, you can download the FREE Suunto App and use the app's GPS activity recorder to sync with PWR Lab.
What about my Apple Watch?
Apple Watch is not currently compatible, but PWR Lab is hard at work getting it integrated. In the meantime, it is possible to sign-up for Run Gap, and send Apple Watch data --> Run Gap --> Suunto App or Garmin Connect --> PWR Lab. Not for the faint of heart!
PWR Lab is a running analytics company created to help runners avoid training injuries by connecting big data with sport science. The platform helps runners of any level predict risk, prevent injury, and perform optimally.
You’re eligible to redeem a free trial on their platform – no credit card info needed, no obligation, no risk – which begins when you create your account.
Ideally: use the same email address you used to register for the race. PWR Lab will automatically send your data to your bib number on the leaderboard.
If you used different email addresses:
- Log in to the Event My Results tool using your registration email and bib number
- Navigate to Account
- Link your PWR Lab account to your bib number (will need PWR Lab email + password)
Registration & Participant Information
Yes! We ship internationally for an additional $15 fee billed separately from your registration. Please contact us at [email protected] for more info.
Whether you are using automatic results or manual entries, only activities on or after the date you registered will count. Think about your time of registration as the time you cross the starting line: anything recorded before that cannot be counted, as you were not participating yet!
Yes! Unlimited valid attempts are accepted, but only the fastest will display on the leaderboard (though you can choose to exclude one if you need to).
Runners will only have 1 valid result per distance. So, you cannot get a 5K result on each of the three validated courses; only the fastest will count.
We will have a special costume encouraged, red carpet Packet Pickup at Sports Basement! All are encouraged to stop by, pick up your swag, Shop Local and enjoy a special discount with your BIB, and celebrate the conclusion of the 2020 Run Local Series.
Did you earn a Run the Bay and Run Local Series bonus medal? We'll have those ready for you too!
Friday, October 30: 1:00pm-4:00pm
Sports Basement Sunnyvale
1177 Kern Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Saturday, October 31: 10:00am-1:00pm
Sports Basement Berkeley
2727 Milvia St
Berkeley, CA 94703
Can’t make it to Sports Basement? No problem. We will be shipping all remaining packets directly to you on Monday, November 2. Please make sure your address is current in your Race Roster account.
We will have awards for our top-3 overall female and male finishers in the 10K & 5K. Only GPS-verified entries via PWR Lab will be counted for awards.
The green Verified badge is reserved for participants who have uploaded 100% Verified data through PWR Lab.
Uploading FIT files, GPX files, screenshots, etc. is not supported in order to get Verified results.
Verified (auto-sync via PWR Lab) Results
If you have a PWR Lab account, your device is linked, and the emails match between PWR Lab and your Race Roster registration, you're good to go.
If your email does not match, there's a one-time step to get PWRL data flowing to your bib number. You can access the Profile page within PWR Lab to link a device, even if the free trial has expired. No need to pay for a subscription to get the data flowing through to SV Half results.
We have created three courses per distance (5K & 10K) for those who wish to compare themselves directly to one another.
To learn more about the courses, your start, turnaround, and finish lines, please visit our 5K & 10K Details page.
NOTE: Running on these courses is optional. You can get a verified result by running your event wherever your local is.
Check to make sure that:
- You synced your device to the app/service (eg Garmin Connect). PWR Lab does not sync directly to your watch, but receives activity data from services like Garmin & Suunto after you sync to them.
- You have waited a few minutes (up to 15) for Garmin/Suunto/etc to send the activity to PWR Lab, and for PWR Lab to process it for the leaderboard after syncing your device. (Suunto users: Movescount is really slow. Use Suunto App)
- You have refreshed the leaderboard page to load the newest data
- The activity was recorded as a running activity, and not any other type (walking, biking, etc). Changing an activity to running after the fact will not allow the activity to sync.
- The activity was recorded after you registered for the event. Think about your time of registration as the time you cross the starting line: anything recorded before that cannot be counted with Verified results.
- You did not unlink your device from your PWR Lab account (you can see this on the Profile page, even if your free trial has expired).
Only activities recorded specifically as a "running" (or "trail running") activity will be imported, analyzed, and verified for the leaderboard. If you want to include walks, hikes, steps, or anything else you can either record them as runs, or use the manual upload to account for that mileage.
When in doubt, you can always upload treadmill results using manual entry, but some watches also support Treadmill modes that are compatible with PWR Lab:
Many newer GPS watches have the option to “Calibrate Distance” after completing a treadmill run. On a Garmin, record the activity specifically as a treadmill run. After stopping the watch – but before saving the activity – scroll down to “Calibrate and Save”, and enter the total distance displayed on the treadmill.
If you record the run and save it without calibrating / adjusting the distance, then it is likely to be very inaccurate. Also note that if you run on a treadmill without selecting a specific treadmill mode, then the distance calculated using GPS will be very small (close to 0), because you’re not moving away from the treadmill.
Note that adjusting the distance in Garmin Connect after you have saved & submitted the activity will not change the data that is sent to PWR Lab or the leaderboard. Resources: Garmin Article, YouTube Video
By default, we take the earliest valid activities and use them in order until you hit the finish line. You can manually exclude activities and make sure they don't count toward the event results: log in to the My Results tool, go to Activities, and choose which to exclude.
- Record your run with a compatible GPS device (Suunto users must sync to Suunto App, not Movescount)
- Start recording a "running" activity at official start location; end recording at official end location
- Ensure you GPS lock at the start and end of the activity to ensure coordinates are captured
- Watch must record one continuous activity, and must be started at start location and ended at end location
- Do not pause. Your total time between start line and finish line will be counted!
PWR Lab is a running analytics company created to help runners avoid training injuries. The app is designed to import historical running activity, learn your personal baseline, and then give you completely customized training guidance and injury risk forecasting.
We are extending a free trial of PWR Lab to all our participants, which you're welcome to use for automated mileage tracking during the event. If you do not wish to redeem your free trial and link a device then no worries at all – there is a manual entry option and none of your data will need to flow through PWR Lab. If you do choose to link your device, your historical activities may be imported for the sake of establishing that baseline, and linked services will continue to send new activities until you deactivate the link.
If your free access PWR Lab expires, your participation in the event is NOT impacted! Your GPS data will continue to automatically upload to the leaderboard, even if you choose not to subscribe to PWR Lab. There’s absolutely no obligation.
- When signing up for PWR Lab, you can authorize a connection between another running data service (eg Garmin Connect) and PWR Lab.
- This allows that service to send activities that you have recorded on your watch/phone and then uploaded. PWR Lab does not actually connect to your watch or track you: your activities are simply pushed through your Garmin Connect, Suunto App, Polar Flow, COROS, etc. account to the platform.
- This authorization remains intact until you choose to disable it. Even if your free trial expires, the account can continue sending your results to the race leaderboard.
- You can disable the link between PWR Lab and your connected services at any time.
- After connecting your service to PWR Lab, a green link/unlink icon will be displayed on your Profile page. To unlink your account at any time, navigate to the Profile page, scroll to the bottom, and select “unlink”.
- You can access the Profile page and do this at any time, even if your free trial has expired.
Manual Entry (Honor System) Submissions
Log in to the My Results tool for the event using your registration email & bib number.
You can click here to look up your Bib # and confirm your registration on Race Roster.
Be sure to use the same email address that you used to register for the event, and the bib number that was assigned to you. Incorrect combinations will not be allowed to access the tool.
There may also be a slight lag time between your registration and when you are fully added to the event. Normally this should take effect within a few hours, and never more than a day. If you name appears on the leaderboard, you've been added.
Even if there is a lag before you can get into the tool, all your results from after registration will count. Once you gain access you will be able to add results for registration day and beyond. Contact us if you continue to have trouble beyond 24 hours.
We ask that you keep the most important pieces of this event in mind: Community!
All manual submissions are completely on the honor system. Unrealistic results are often honest mistakes and can be corrected in the Results & Profile tool.
You can also filter the Leaderboard to see Verified results in order to eliminate honor system entries and view only the results that are backed up by GPS data that is verified by PWR Lab.
About Run Local & Contacting Us
Run Local, Give Local: At least 5% of every dollar spent in the Run Local universe goes to partner organizations making a positive impact on our local communities. You are encouraged to further this contribution whenever and wherever you interact with us.
For the East Bay 5K & 10K, Run Local specifically supports Running for a Better Oakland (RBO). More information can be found here.
Since 2012, Run Local has brought locally produced events to the San Francisco Bay Area celebrating its runners, artists, and the unique diversity of each region. The annual Bay Area series of events includes the Amazon San Jose 408K Race to the Row (February), San Jose Shamrock Run 5K & 10K (March), Silicon Valley Half (April), Across the Bay 12K & 5K (July) and The East Bay 510K – 5K & 10K (October).
In 2021 it added the California Coast 500 to its portfolio along with various media properties such as its Run Local Pod available wherever you listen to podcasts.
For more information, visit RunLocalEvents.com and join us on social @RunLocalEvents.
Contact Run Local's customer support team at [email protected] Messages are typically responded to within 24 hours.